Most games in the video game industry feature a superhero or a good guy as the main protagonist. But let’s face it – after some time, especially if you’ve played hundreds of games in your life, this theme becomes cliche.
That’s why today we are discussing villain games, which, as the name suggests, highlight a bad character in the middle of the action. Without further ado, let’s dive into the list of Games Where You Are the Villain!
The Best Games Where You Are the Bad Guy
The best games where you are one of the bad guys are those that give you a sense of power and control. You get to be the villain and do whatever you want. These games also let you explore your dark side in a way that is safe and fun.
The games below are not just entertaining because they're challenging but also because they're morally ambiguous. They will take you on a journey through the life of a villain as you wreak havoc and cause chaos. Let’s start with the list!
LEGO: DC Super-Villains
- Release Date: October 16, 2018
- Developer: Traveller’s Tales
- Publisher: Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, macOS, Steam
- Metascore: 74
Who does not love LEGO games? LEGO: DC Super-Villains is an action-adventure platform game and the fourth installment of the Lego Batman series. Contrary to the other of the series, this game focuses on villains of the DC universe.
In LEGO: DC Super-Villains, you gain access to a roster of obscure characters, such as the Joker and Catwoman, each of them with unique abilities, who, in the aftermath of the Justice League’s disappearance, take on the role of protector of the Earth. Your mission in this fantastic game is to defeat a rival group of supervillains from another universe.
Technically, DC Super-Villains is a spin-off to the LEGO Batman Trilogy. It focuses on the Caped Crusader and his band companions in missions to protect Gotham City.
As the game progresses, you will have to solve puzzles and perform various action-adventure scenarios in the most iconic locations of the DC Universe, such as Gotham City and Metropolis.
Besides, LEGO: DC Super-Villains is the first game of the saga to incorporate a custom character integrated into the main storyline.
LEGO DC Super-Villains Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Open world elements between levels featuring iconic locations of the DC Universe.
- A well-structured storyline that is longer than usual for LEGO games.
- LEGO graphics for people that love the brand and interaction with the environment.
Grand Theft Auto V
- Release Date: September 17, 2013
- Developer: Rockstar North
- Publisher: Rockstar Games
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S
- Metascore: 97
Grand Theft Auto V is very likely one of the most famous games of recent time. GTA V is a third-person shooter where you have to complete several missions in the fictional city of Los Santos.
In Grand Theft Auto V players control three playable characters: Michael da Santa, Franklin Clinton, and Trevor Philips. They are trying to escape from their destiny and come back to a crime-free life. To do this, they need to commit one last heist. But a big plot twist comes to the scene, changing the three robbers' destiny forever.
Each character has their own stats, which you can see over the character, such as stamina, shooting, strength, stealth, flying, driving, lung capacity, and special.
Grand Theft Auto V perfectly combines the fluid movements of Red Dead Redemption, such as run and cover, with the effects of games like Max Payne 3. In addition, the car driving system is simpler than in previous franchise games.
Grand Theft Auto V GTA 5 CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A vast open-world map of the fictional city of Los Santos simulating L.A.
- A huge selection of vehicles, including planes.
- An interesting bounty hunting system to get some extra cash.
- A hunting system will allow you to head to the wilderness outside the metropolis.
- A multiplayer system with crazy fun and dozens of missions.
Saints Row IV
- Release Date: August 20, 2013
- Developer: Volition
- Publisher: Deep Silver
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Linux, Nintendo Switch, Stadia, Steam
- Metascore: 86
Saints Row IV is an action-adventure game and the fourth installment in the Saints Row Series. In general aspects, Saints Row IV is a shooter played from a third-person perspective where you kill people and in the same way you take a Sunday walk, with all the tranquility in the world.
Saints Row IV sets in an open world, which allows you to explore a simulation of the fictional city of Steelport freely. Throughout the map, you’ll have to complete several main and side missions. This open-world integrates science fiction and over-the-top parody elements.
In Saints Row IV, you create your own character, who becomes the President of the United States after thwarting a terrorist threat. You and your gang members are trapped in the Steelprort simulation after being captured by an alien empire known as the Zin.
Saints Row IV Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A huge open world of a fictional city of Steelport.
- A vast variety of superpowers and crazy weapons.
- An interesting customization system for your character and equipment.
War for the Overworld 1 & 2
- Release Date: April 02, 2015
- Developer: Subterranean Games
- Publisher: N/A
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Linux, OS X
- Metascore: 65
War for the Overworld is a real-time strategy game with straightforward gameplay, where you must build your own dungeon to trap and kill the heroes who enter it. It is strongly inspired by Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, Starcraft, Evil Genius, and other video games with similar gameplay.
In War for the Overworld, you control Dark Lord – a character connected with the dark side in charge of building dungeons with multiple mortal traps and subordinates that must kill the hero.
This title starts with a blank page and allows you to choose where to dig, build and strengthen to structure your fortress. The game progresses in real-time, so you make decisions based on the current events. Any monster and henchman you have could be training and casting spells to help your monsters while fighting.
Besides, the game features a micro resource management system, so you have to keep the henchman working by giving them food, water, and gold.
War for the Overworld Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A dungeon management game that employs unique RPG and RTS genres.
- Control a malevolent Underlord with dark power to destroy all the heroes.
- A building system with several options and possibilities.
Fallout: New Vegas
- Release Date: October 10, 2010
- Developer: Obsidia Entertainment
- Publisher: Bethesda Softwork, Namco Bandai
- Platforms: PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Metascore: 84
Fallout: New Vegas is an action role-playing game and the sixth installment of the Fallout franchise. By most gamers, New Vegas is considered the best modern Fallout and one of the best games of the saga.
Fallout: New Vegas has a completely isolated plot from the story of previous games of the franchise. The events of New Vegas happen 120 years after the original Fallout and 40 years after the events of Fallout 2.
It’s 2281, 204 years after the Great War of 2077, with Las Vegas being a post-apocalyptic city. The game takes place there and in the Mojave Desert. This region is disputed by four factions: The New California Republic (NCR), the Caesar’s Legion, the Robert House, and the Yes Man/Independent New Vegas. These factions are in constant war, and each of them desires total control over the city.
You control a messenger who works for Mojave Express. You must deliver a package to the mysterious Sr. House, the leader of the New Vegas. From there, the adventure opens, and it’s time to accept your fate! Head to the town and start your mission!
Fallout: New Vegas Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Vast expanses of the desert wastelands, including small towns and the Mojave desert.
- Colorful characters, feuding factions, and a host of hostiles.
- A brutal arsenal of shiny new weapons.
Postal 4: No Regerts
- Release Date: April 20, 2022
- Developer: Running with Scissors
- Publisher: Running with Scissors
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Steam
- Metascore: 30
Postal 4: No Regerts is a first-person shooter and the spiritual successor of Postal 2 that is considered, eventually, one of the most violent titles of all time. Just like Postal 2, in Postal 4, you have a wife, a dog, and a peaceful life, at least until you must take care of some missions.
As Mr. Dude Jr. in Postal 4: No Regerts, the game lets you accomplish the daily missions in two ways, either peacefully or violently. The way you choose doesn’t matter since achievement is the final goal. The decision is up to you!
In the first place, the game basically forces you to go on a murderous rampage of death and destruction, although you can try to complete the game without killing anyone.
Postal 4: No Regerts Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Total freedom in the choice between pacifist vs. aggressive style.
- A non-linear fashion within free roams, an open world, and sandbox gameplay.
- Unique combos and capabilities which you can combine to improve your rating.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows - Ultimate Edition
- Release Date: August 27, 2013
- Developer: MercurySteam, Kojima Productions
- Publisher: Konami
- Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC
- Metascore: 85
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows Ultimate Edition is a game of the Castlevania Series and one of the latest installments of the franchise that was released for consoles.
Just like most titles of the saga, in Castlevania: Lords of Shadows Ultimate Edition, you control a member of the Belmont family. In this opportunity, you take the role of Gabriel Belmont in an alternative chronology of an apocalyptic era.
Contrary to the vast majority of previous games of the franchise, Lords of Shadows is a 3D action game where you, as Gabriel, will face giant spiders, trolls, wolfmen, and huge creatures with a big arsenal of weapons. These weapons include crosses, daggers, dark crystals, and magic powers to protect yourself from enemy attacks.
To progress through the map and go from one point to another, you can jump and climb, which turns Lords of Shadows into a platformer with a bit of Hack and Slash. If you love Castlevania games, we encourage you to play this game. You’ll feel like you are in the shoes of a bad but cool guy!
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows Ultimate Edition Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- This bundle includes the original game plus the Reviere DLC and the Resurrection DLC.
- An alternate timeline with classic characters and tangential side stories.
- Obstacles, puzzles, great environments, and titan battles to overcome.
- Release Date: February 23, 2010
- Developer: Quantic Dream
- Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment, Quantic Dream
- Platforms: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows
- Metascore: 78
Heavy Rain is an interactive action-adventure psychological thriller video game that puts you on the foot of a private investigator who must figure out who the Origami Killer is. This is a serial killer that uses rain to drown his victims, which happen to be children.
But in Heavy Rain, things are not so simple. We don’t want to spoil anything, but this game has one of the best-twisted games out there as you soon discover that things appear to be different than they seem.
You control four characters who deal with different aspects of their lives and with the grief of the killed children that broke their humanity. You’ll need to act and think faster as every decision you make can result in gaming consequences. Discover your internal shadow and put your fear aside in Heavy Rain!
Heavy Rain Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Four perspectives, four characters who follow their own leads.
- An uncomplicated HUD that immerses you in the storytelling.
- Stunning visuals that are completely optimized for PC.
Destroy All Humans!
- Release Date: July 28, 2020
- Developer: Black Forest Games, Pandemic Studios
- Publisher: THQ Nordic
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, Nintendo Switch
- Metascore: 71
Destroy All Humans! is an action-adventure game set in an open world, the fifth itineration of the franchise of the same name, and a remake of the 2005 original game.
In Destroy All Humans!, you control Cryptosporidium 137 (AKA Crypto), an alien who arrives on Earth in 1950 to save their race by harvesting human DNA. Crypto attempts to bring down the US government to facilitate an alien invasion.
To harvest and kill poor humans, you use an assortment of alien weaponry, such as the Zap-O-Matic, Anal Probe, and psychic abilities. You can also reduce the human cities to rubble and create chaos with your flying saucer equipped with a death ray. If you’re one of these fans who are crazy about aliens, this memorable game is for you!
Destroy All Humans Remake Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A classic 50s alien invasion.
- A ridiculous but funniest game!
- A possessing human system that allows you to infiltrate the US government.
Games where you are the villain is a genre that gains followers day by day. Here are some memorable games that feature a good balance between a bad character and interesting gameplay. Even though they didn’t make it to the main list, they still deserve mention.
Spec Ops: The Line
- Publisher: 2K games
- Platforms: Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Spec Ops: The Line is a third-person shooter where you control a soldier called Martin Walker, who is in an alternate reality version of Dubai. Martin seeks revenge for one of his fellow soldiers, who has reportedly gone insane. Your actions gradually switch from heroic to unholy; then you may wonder: Is this guy a hero or a villain?
- Publisher: Ndemic Creations, Miniclip SA
- Available on iOS, Android, Windows iPhone, Steam
Honestly, we have no idea who you’re controlling when you play Plague Inc., but surely you carry out the role of a bad guy. You, as a player, aim to create a virus that kills as many people as possible. Yeah, you didn’t hear wrong. You dictate how your virus mutates and upgrades to infect new countries and kill their inhabitants. It’s an interesting game that can become a big party of jokes!
Untitled Goose Game
- Publisher: Panic
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch, macOS, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Mac OS
This is a fun game very different from the ones above, a puzzle and a stealth one where you become a goose with a mean streak. Your mission is to steal objects and just make the humans around you have a bad day. A quest that may seem easy, but it’s not as you’ll need a lot of skill planning your steps to achieve your goals.
- Publisher: Bullfrog Productions
- Platforms: DOS, Windows
Dungeon Keeper is a tactical role-playing game where you take the role of, yeah, a dungeon keeper. The task is to build numerous traps and develop ways to kill people using your minions, zombies, and creatures. From a certain point of view, this is a “god game” that incorporates a sick sense of humor continuously on full display. An interesting game where you decide what happens in the campaign. Besides, it also has a good sequel.
Not every game mentioned in this article lets you be the villain in the same way. Some of these games create a humorous atmosphere and twists to soften the blow of carrying out evil deeds. On the other hand, others use the character's true nature and memory as a narrative resource to shock and surprise.
Do not forget to browse our website to check other games either from related topics or different genres. If you like to argue about games or have any questions about our services, feel free to send us a message via our contact form. Our team will be happy to answer all your questions!