Games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age, and Medieval Dynasty have brought us the richest aspects of the Middle Ages. They are full of incredible stories, enemies, weapons, monsters, tools, and devastating battles, and each of them has a unique style. Still, there are a lot of other Medieval Games in video game history which are maybe less known but also worth mentioning. This is what we’re going to address here!
The Best Medieval Games
Next, you’ll find a great mix of games that take place in a medieval country or kingdom. Some of them focus on realism, whereas others concentrate on the experience and mechanics. Try them all and decide which one is the best for you!
- Release Date: August 15, 2018.
- Developer: Lazy Bear Games.
- Publisher: tinyBuild.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android.
- Metascore: 69
Graveyard Keeper is a graveyard management simulation video game where, as the name suggests, you must keep a graveyard. It is strongly inspired by Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon regarding its style and gameplay.
In Graveyard Keeper, you are a recipient of a plot of land that includes a small graveyard. At the beginning of the game, you must clean the graveyard that is full of trees, stumps, boulders, and weeds. Upon this, you’ll need to restore its operations, including tending to graves and the church that generates revenues and brings donations.
While you repair the graveyard and put it into construction, you’ll need information and help from different NPCs to return to your world, from where you were extracted at the beginning of the game. Yeah! Graveyard Keeper happens in an alternate universe, and your main mission is to return to your universe. But first, you must put the things in order!
To get help from characters and get the information that helps you to accomplish your main mission, you must complete quests that involve doing dome favors, such as bringing collectible or crafted items.
Besides, to unlock new events in the game, you need to unlock new technologies. To do this, you’ll need three different types of experience points: Red, Blue, and Green.
Some additional game features are farming, smithing, fishing, and rudimentary combat.
Graveyard Keeper Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- An interesting management system that involves cleaning the graveyard and completing quests.
- Gathering and crafting to expand the graveyard into a thriving business.
- Mysterious dungeons that are worthy of a medieval game.
Stronghold: Crusader 2
- Release Date: September 23, 2014.
- Developer: Firefly Studios.
- Publisher: Firefly Studios.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows.
- Metascore: 65
Stronghold Crusader 2 is a real-time strategy game and the second installment of the Stronghold saga. In some aspects, Crusader 2 is very similar to games such as Age of Empires or Warcraft, but it differs in many other aspects.
Stronghold Crusader 2 is the first game of the franchise to feature a 3D graphics engine. It also adds new features, such as dynamic on-map events, new visuals, the capacity of building and defending new structures, and a new battle interface.
The game revolves around skirmish gameplay, where you need to fight through linked maps with several set-ups in a particular order. The medieval war is strongly represented by castles, farming systems, weaponry, sieges, epic battles, and more.
Stronghold Crusader 2 is a grand strategy game set in the Middle East during the time of the Crusades. You can enjoy both Crusader and Arabic historical campaigns. Thus, if you like medieval era and real-time management, we encourage you to try this game out.
Stronghold Crusader 2 Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Real-time strategy system and castle management that involves economy and farming system.
- Over 25 unique units to master their abilities.
- Real-time combats that are worthy of a medieval world.
Crusader Kings III
- Release Date: September 1, 2020
- Developer: Paradox Development Studio.
- Publisher: Paradox Interactive,
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5.
- Metascore: 91
Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy role-playing game featuring the medieval period taking place between the crusades. Kings III is the direct sequel to Crusader Kings and Crusader Kings II.
Crusader Kings III is also a dynasty simulator where you control a character who can start the campaign in either 867 or 1066, at the beginning of different crusades of the medieval period. Compared to the other game of the franchise, Kings III features a map four times more detailed, incorporating Asia as far East as Tibet, and Africa as far as the Equator.
One of the most relevant aspects of this game is that you can continue playing the game upon the deposition or death of your character. Then, you will continue playing as a character's heir. Your final goal is to develop a dynasty over the centuries until the end of the whole game, which finishes in 1453.
Your dynasty can form cadet branches, which act independently from the dynasty. Many of the characteristics of your characters can be inherited by their descendants through the game’s genetic system. From a certain point of view, each character has their own life, with one of the five lifestyles to follow and abilities you must enhance via skills trees.
In a few words, it’s a huge role-playing game in a medieval setting with thousands of possibilities that you should not leave out.
Crusader Kings III Steam CD Key is available on RoyalCDKeys.
- Huge maps featuring Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
- Five types of lifestyles and three government types: feudal, tribal, or clan.
- Culture and religion can become holy wars and undergo pilgrimages.
- Release Date: June 8, 2021.
- Developer: Torn Banner Studios.
- Publisher: Tripwire Interactive.
- Platforms: PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S.
- Metascore: 81
Chivalry 2 is an action multiplayer video game with hack and slash elements and the sequel to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare that puts you in the role of an ancient warrior of different cultures. You can play Chivalry from a first-person or third-person perspective. Essentially, it’s a class-based shooter with a focus on melee weapons instead of gunplay.
In Chivalry 2, you can wield various types of medieval melee weapons, such as long swords, axes, and sledgehammers. There are also long-range weapons, such as bows, and arrows. Besides, the game offers you the possibility of finding new weapons in caches on the map. Fighting features three basic attacks: vertical slash, horizontal slash, and a stab. You can also block hostile attacks and use dismembered limbs as weapons.
All modes feature the Mason Order, wearing red and black, and the Agatha Knights, wearing blue and white – these are two groups facing each other. The team objective mode supports a maximum of 64 players, and the team deathmatch supports a free-for-all system.
The goals of both modes range from destroying an ultimate objective to eliminating the enemy “hero.” Besides, the battle is divided into various phases with unique objectives. If the invader team fails to complete them within the period, the defenders win the match.
Chivalry 2 Epic Games CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Modern graphics featuring realistic physics in battle.
- A steep learning curve but a long-term satisfaction controlling weapons and mechanics.
- Fights in large-scale multiplayer battles with 64 players on various maps.
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
- Release Date: May 3, 2018.
- Total War Developer: Creative Assembly.
- Publisher: Sega.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, macOS.
- Metascore: 75
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia is a strategy game with a great historical accuracy set in the British Islands after the death of the legendary Viking, Ragnar Lodbrok. In thrones of Britannia, players fight each other for the control of the British territory.
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia starts in the year 878. King Alfred the Great managed to stop the Viking hosts after the battle of Edington. Now, the different kings of the island are preparing for the next attacks of the Vikings and other nations from their settlements in both north and east.
In this title of the Total War series, just like other games of the saga, such as Medieval II: Total War, you can choose among ten available factions, two for each culture:
- Circinn Faction, and the Kingdom of Meath, for Celtic realms,
- East Anglia and Northumbria for the pagan army,
- Gwynedd and Strat Clut for Welsh kingdoms,
- Mercia and Wessex for the British kingdoms,
- Dublin and Sudreyar for the kings of the sea.
Each of these factions has unique abilities, pros, and cons based on the real models of warring factions. Besides, factions have special units and warriors with historically accurate names. Thrones of Britannia will introduce you to this time period from the hand of real battles of great importance.
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Play as the fierce attacker or the defender of your kingdom.
- Ten factions matching different playstyles.
- Real-time battles with dozens of war weapons.
Mount Blade II Bannerlord
- Mount & Blade Release Date: March 30, 2020.
- Developer: TaleWorlds Entertainment.
- Publisher: TaleWorlds Entertainment.
- Platforms: PC.
- Metascore: No score yet.
Mount & Blade II: Bannelord is a strategy action role-playing game and a prequel to Mount & Blade. Bannelord takes place 210 years before the first chapter of the franchise, and it’s inspired by the Migration Period. An early access version was released on March 30, 2020, while a version for consoles is planned.
Mount & Blade II: Bannelord puts you in the role of a commander who must build up a party of soldiers and complete quests.
The gameplay takes place on a fictional medieval open-world sandbox called Calradia. The Calradia Empire is falling due to numerous invasions and civil war, while new factions appear in the land's near regions.
Bannelord includes eight main factions and kingdoms, each composed of clans. These forces integrate a balance of spearmen, have cavalry, infantry, archers, and mounted archery. Each faction is adept at some of these warrior forces.
Overall, it’s an interesting game with real and fantasy elements that will bring out the warrior and strategist in you.
A Mount & Blade II: Bannelord Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Great improvements to core gameplay mechanics of Mount & Blade Saga.
- Improved dialogue trees with more options to convince NPCs to the player’s right.
- A system of marriages with the possibility of having children.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Release Date: February 13, 2018.
- Kingdom Come Deliverance Developer: Warhorse Studios.
- Publisher: Warhorse Studios / Deep Silver.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Luna.
- Metascore: 76
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is an action RPG game set in the medieval Bohemia, a kingdom that is part of the fifteenth-century Sacrum Romanum Imperium. It’s one of the best open-world games related to the medieval context in recent times. Deliverance was developed with a focus on historically accurate content, putting you in the middle of a civil war in 1403.
The main protagonist is Henry, the blacksmith’s son, who is looking for revenge against his parents' assassin who had invaded his village and killed everyone except him. You play from a first-person perspective, utilizing a classless roleplaying system that allows you to customize your skills to take different roles, such as warrior, thief, bard, etcetera.
To boost the customization system, Kingdom Come: Deliverance features 16 slots for clothing on many body areas, allowing you to acquire a different level of protection against a diverse range of weapons – knives, swords, hammers, axes, etc. Combat is very realistic due to inverse kinematics, a system that determines the reactions of combatants and provides a huge variety of combat moves and combinations.
In Deliverance, your character will need to eat and sleep to stay healthy. And if you’re looking to explore the wilderness of the kingdom, make sure to repair your clothes to stay safe. You can also craft unique items to get resources and improve the chances on your journey.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A massive realistic open world for those who are interested in historical accurate content.
- Challenging combat with several elements, such as melee, stealth, and long-range features.
- A non-linear story with multiple paths and decisions to make.
- Free exploration to gather valuable resources, such as food, and materials, and recover your health.
- Release Date: February 14, 2017.
- For Honor Developer: Ubisoft.
- Publisher: Ubisoft.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
- Metascore: 78
For Honor is an action game where you take the role of historical soldiers of different cultures highly recognizable in pop culture, such as samurai, knights, Vikings, Chinese, and outlanders in a third-person perspective.
For Honor is set in a medieval fantasy setting, where different factions mentioned above fight each other to control the battlefield. All heroes have unique weapons, skills, and fighting styles. Besides, each warrior will attack and defend with their class-specific melee weapons.
With special movements and combos, you gain Feats, which are additional perks that provide extra points and strengths, and even heal yourself.
For Honor features an interesting multiplayer mode, which can be called a “shooter with swords.” Players choose a warrior and face others until one last one is left standing. Furthermore, each faction has a huge number of combatants.
For Honor EU Ubisoft Connect CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- An immersive world where warriors from different cultures and ages collide.
- A unique very realistic combat system that reminds us Dark Souls series and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- A single-player campaign and a competitive multiplayer.
Age of Empires II - Definitive Edition
- Release Date: November 14, 2019.
- Developer: Forgotten Empires.
- Publisher: Xbox Game Studios.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows.
- Metascore: 84
Age of Empire II is already a classic real-time strategy game of all time. This Definitive Edition, particularly, is a remaster of the 1999 game, Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. This classic of the genre features improved visuals for troops and buildings, supporting 4K resolution.
This installment features four new civilizations: Cumans, Bulgarians, Lithuanians, and Tatars, and four new campaigns; Ivaylo, Kotyan Khan, Tamerlane, and Pachacuti. Furthermore, the game allows you to choose between both the original AI and a new and more advanced AI with enough skill to be competitive.
In Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, you must create a civilization from scratch. Your mission is to gather resources and produce tools and valuable elements to build castles and other buildings. With the creation of warriors and a strong economy, you will develop your own kingdom, and then an entire Empire. Of course, don’t forget to build siege machines to attack the enemies’ settlements and rule over the territory.
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- The original game plus four new civilizations and campaigns.
- Astonishing 4K visual for characters and buildings for more reality.
- New multiplayer features.
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Developer: Asobo Studio.
- Publisher: Focus Home Interactive.
- Release Date: May 14, 2019.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Luna.
- Metascore: 83
A Plague Tale: Innocence is an action-adventure stealth game set in 14th century Aquitaine, France, during the black plague. In this context, you control Amicia de Rune and her younger brother, Hugo.
A Plague Tale: Innocence focuses attempts of the brothers to escape from the city, trying to flee from soldiers of the French Inquisition and hordes of rats that spread the plague. To do this, there's a wide range of mechanics at your disposal, such as stealth to avoid hostile encounters and some tools to distract, even knock out soldiers and rats.
The adventure of Amicia and Hugo features a series of survival puzzles, which mostly consist and discovering the best methods to scare away rats. This way, you’ll gain access to new areas of the city, in which you’ll have to survive.
A Plague Tale: Innocence Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- A unique storyline that immerses you in a deep and dark 1349 Kingdom of France.
- Stealth mechanics will allow you to avoid soldiers and rats and lead the journey o freedom.
- A huge number of puzzles require all your cleverness in the player’s actions.
Medieval Games features many elements that are attractive for most gamers: incredible kingdoms, amazing battles, a knight with a sword, a bow, or an ax, factions, survival mechanics, and much more. All the titles we’ve mentioned in this article are perfect examples of that and the first decision of most fans of the genre! We recommend you to play all those that you consider interesting for gaming.
Last but not least, do not forget to create your account on our platform. This way, you’ll be attentive to all the news and the last offers regarding the CD Keys we bring for you. Any question you have, we can answer it through our contact form.