7 How To Find Office Product Key Methods When You Lost It
Have you ever been in a situation where you just reinstalled Windows or a Microsoft product and couldn’t find the product key for your software? That’s an uncomfortable situation that no one should go through.
After all, programs like Microsoft Office don’t run without a license, and if you don’t have it activated, you can’t even enjoy their basic features.
Fortunately, Microsoft has different ways to find your serial keys when you think you have lost them.
This article explores the most common ways you can use to find your Microsoft Office product keys, with or without assistance, so you can complete the installation process on your PC.
Microsoft Office Product Key
A product key for Microsoft Office is a serial key that you can use to activate this software suite. This is a 25-character code that verifies the authenticity of the Microsoft software.
When you install Office and use this Microsoft Office key, the software links to the company’s database, so it is not used on more than one computer at the same time.
As a serial key owner, you are entitled to use, uninstall, transfer and reinstall Office as many times as necessary.
Where To Find Your Microsoft Office Product Key On Windows
If you are trying to find your serial key number to activate Office, here are some things you could try.
Beware that these methods are used in Windows 10 or 11, and your Office version does not matter. Whether it is Office 2010 or Office 2013, you can still solve your product key issue.
Product Key Printed
When you purchase a laptop or a new PC from a retail store or straight from a PC manufacturer, you may have Office pre-installed along with Windows.
So, if you want to find the key from these Microsoft products, you need to check at the bottom of the laptop, which is the place where manufacturers usually place a badge – usually a yellow sticker.
This is proof of purchase that legally obtained your computer and software. It also helps you reinstall your Office in case you uninstall it. However, be aware that some keys are attached to the hardware.
So, if your computer gets damaged, you may have to purchase another product key.
Product Key On The Microsoft Store
In recent updates, having a Microsoft account attached to the Microsoft Store is more useful than you may think.
If you bought Office – no matter the version you’ve got – and you didn’t install it yet, you can check the product key right from the store.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Go to the store and sign in to your account.
2. Reach the right corner and find Order History.
3. Find your Office purchase and click Install Office to view your product key.
Once you know your full product key, you can proceed from the online store and continue the installation.
Windows Powershell To Find The Product Key
Now, another way that you can use to find out your Office product key. This time, it will be through Windows Powershell or the Command Prompt – depending on your operating system.
Here’s how you find the lost activation code using Windows Powershell:
1. Press Windows + X and open the Windows Powershell as an admin.
2. Once the CMD opens, use this command: “wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey”. If that doesn’t work, try “(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey.”
3. After using the command, your product key should appear.
On the other hand, here’s what you need to do to find out using the Command Prompt:
1. Press Windows + S to open the Windows PC search.
2. Type CMD and open the program as administrator.
3. Use the command “wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey.”
4. This command will trigger the product key.
This method may seem hard, but these on-screen instructions above will help you go through it.
Windows System Registry File
The Windows Registry method is an advanced method that you can use for different things, such as activating your Windows license or finding out a product key from your Office account.
Follow these steps to do it:
1. Open the Windows search bar and write Regedit.
2. Open the Registry window. Click the search bar and paste the following command: “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform.”
3. When you see a list of documents, find BackupProductKeyDefault and double-click it.
4. Look at the Data Column to find the product key.
Contact Microsoft Support
If you need extra help to find your product key, this method works quite well. Contacting Microsoft support will give you a better insight into where your product key is located.
The support team can assist you and answer any questions you have at the due time.
1. Press the Windows key, type Activation settings, and press enter.
2. Once the new window opens, go down until you find Get Help.
3. Select the reasons why you want to create a support ticket and press Contact Support.
4. Select Office and click Confirm.
5. Add a phone number and an email where you can find the information along with an email receipt.
Wait until the support team contacts you to solve your issue. You may get a certificate of authenticity along with the product key card.
Even though this is a method that is usually applied to recovering your Windows activation key, it can still work for Office.
Where To Find Your Microsoft Office Product Key On Mac
In case you have a Mac, and you can’t use the methods above, here you can see some options you can use to find the Office product key on your device.
The one-time pin allows you to recover your product key if you haven’t used the pin before, hence the “one-time.”
What you need to do is:
1. Find the Office CD box and try to look for an authenticity sticker. This is where you’re most likely to find the pin.
2. Visit the Microsoft Website Mac section and type the key.
3. Now, go to your Microsoft Account and log in.
4. Find “View Product Key” and save it.
Home Use Program To Get Your Product Key Online
The Mac Office version can use the Home Use Program to find the product key. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the Home Use Program.
- Select country, region, and the email address you use.
- Mark the option “Don’t know your program code?”
- Verify your email.
Wait until you receive the product code.
Getting Microsoft Product Key
If, after all these methods, you can’t find your Microsoft Office product key, you may want to go to the internet, do a search, and locate a place to buy it.
To get a product key for Microsoft, you can do two things:
- Get the office product key straight from the official online store. This will cost you over $200.
- Buy Office from an online third-party seller. You can find keys for Microsoft Office 2021 or an earlier version for a couple of dollars instead of hundreds.
To get and download an original Microsoft Office 2021 CD Key or other versions from a third-party seller page is not hard. You only need to make sure that you use a safe place to get it.
For example, RoyalCDKeys ensures original serial numbers for different software and devices that you can obtain and activate from original websites.
This is how you can confirm that you’re dealing with a real seller. Once you have purchased your software, you can download and activate it without having a disc – and without worrying about malware.
Office Product Key - Summary
Now that you know the best methods you can use to find your Microsoft Office product key, you can try them all before getting a new serial number.
Make sure you check your Microsoft account page or the Microsoft Store before you do anything else. After all, your keys should be stored there.
There are other methods, like using an external Windows directory or similar third-party software to find your keys, but these can be invasive and could leave your computer vulnerable. We don’t recommend using them if you’re unprepared for what could happen.