Stardew Valley tells the story of a young man that inherited a farm from his grandfather. It’s a small town with problems that you will have to deal with as you progress through the story.
Begin a new life and return the farm to its former glory and help the rest of the community thrive once more. Spend plenty of joyful gaming hours farming new crops, building, gathering and reuniting with friends to improve your skills.
But as you have arrived here, you might have already completed this captivating game. That said, today we’ll be discussing different indie games like Stardew Valley so you can continue your farming journey on other horizons.
- Release Date: 29 May 2018.
- Developer: Digital Sun.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC), macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Xbox One.
- Metascore: 74.
Moonlighter is one of the main games like Stardew Valley that you should play. At first, it may seem easy – you work as a shopkeeper, so your duties include attending to customers, restocking shelves, and all those activities you can expect in a simple farming game.
However, Moonlighter doesn’t stop there. Digital Sun made sure that this RPG with rogue-lite elements is more than a garden story.
This tale is a two-side adventure with Will, the main character, the shopkeeper of his store during the day and, after working hours, an adventurer who goes to the depths of caves and dungeons looking for loot to sell.
In this fantastical world, you will have to use different weapons, armor, rings, amulets, and more. Use them to defeat mini-bosses and other threats on your way for treasure.
There are over 100 room patterns where you can play and 9 companions to help you out in your journey.
Not all the enemies can be defeated the same way, so you will have to use different strategies.
And besides that, there’s an intense and anguished family drama behind the story. Moonlighter delivers an incredible and original experience, and it’s constantly developing to bring new game-changing enhancements for all players.
Moonlighter Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Open world with RPG features.
- Craft and enchant equipment.
- Two game modes – one focused on business management and the other on exploration.
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
- Release Date: 14 Jul 2020.
- Developer: Marvelous Inc.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC), PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One.
- Metascore: 77.
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is the spiritual successor of the Harvest Moon Series, one of the best farming games so far. Stardew Valley fans have loved this game for a long time now for a reason.
You start the game returning to Mineral Town as you were gone for personal reasons. Now, your duty calls to restore your grandfather’s farm to its former glory.
You will have to take care of crops, livestock, and more. Farm fruits, vegetables and make sure your aquaculture land is growing strong. You can choose whether to sell them or cook the products you harvest.
If you have played the other Story of Seasons series games, like the Pioneers of the Olive Town story or Trio of Towns, you will find familiar faces and new ones as well. You can offer your products to them. It’s also possible to give them gifts, befriend them, and much more.
However, the game isn’t only about farming, as there is plenty you can do in Friends of Mineral Town. Try fishing, cook meals, and go into local hot springs. Grow crops and ensure your own farm stays in good shape.
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is available for purchase on Steam.
- Explore your farm and become a businessman.
- Build relationships with NPC and other real players.
- Thrive in a real-life economy.
- Get married or even start a family.
- Possibility to have a robotic cat.
- Release Date: 25 Jan 2016.
- Developer: Wayward Prophet.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC) and Android.
- Metascore: 70.
Wayward Prophet brings you World’s Dawn, a colorful life sim and social game set in a small village. The game is inspired by the Harvest Moon series and Stardew Valley. As such, you can imagine it has vibrant graphics, strange characters, and idle game mechanics.
Here in Sugar Blossom Village, you can build a big farm story. Customize your farm, compete in festivals, have a fish farm, forage, mine, cook, harvest crops, find out magical secrets, and more.
On your farm, you can start gathering resources and take advantage of the changing seasons. There are adventures full of quests and the possibility of getting to know the culture of the small town.
World’s Dawn is available for purchase on Steam.
- This fantastic game with cross-generational storytelling takes you to create a world of magic and adventure.
- Meet over 32 characters, each one with their personality.
- Like the Seasons games, a seasonal change enables mini-games and other events.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Release Date: 20 March 2020.
- Developer: Nintendo.
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch.
- Metascore: 90.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a game a bit different from other farming games. The game is available for most Nintendo consoles, such as the Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, or even mobile phones.
This game follows the usual Stardew-style game, but it’s still a farming sim game like Stardew Valley. This New Horizons Animal Crossing game brings new challenges for the player, even though they follow all the same notes.
In comparison to the previous titles, you will start on a deserted island. You then start to build your own garden-like residential society with the help of Tom Nook, a raccoon with brown fur. Develop your village to make it a town – build houses to bring new villagers or even other players.
If you played Stardew for a while, you probably have noticed that the game doesn’t have a goal per se. And that’s something that applies to Animal Crossing as well.
This is an open-ended life simulation that allows you to do almost anything you want, from making friends, farm animals, and other usual tasks related to this farming game.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is available for purchase on Nintendo.
- New content is constantly released.
- A fun, open world where you can find trusted partners.
- Developed by a leading digital publisher such as Nintendo.
- Start on an island and customize it at your own pace.
- Start collecting plants, and build a tend close to trees.
- Release Date: 2 Jun 2021.
- Developer: Wonderscope.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC).
- Metascore: Not available.
Among other games like Stardew Valley, Hokko Life can be considered a mixture between Animal Crossing and Stardew. The game is currently in early access but has plenty of playability and interactions.
This is a title made by Wonderscope that grants players a lot of creativity in a thriving community sim game. The Town of Hokko is the new place where you can settle and build your home.
But before calling it home, the place needs you to transform it into a rural town that people would like to visit or move to.
Use hammers, paints, brushes, and more tools to design, build and decorate houses of friends and neighbors. Go to your workshop to craft materials, create buildings, and combine furniture as you wish.
Even though this is not a fantasy farming game, you can collect flowers and other materials to improve your designs. Spend your time harvesting crops. Go to the deepest places of Earth to search for resources. Create your equipment or furniture using an old workshop. Find complete freedom to build the town according to your vision in this great game with a curious art style.
Hokko Life Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Create furniture with an innovative workshop system.
- Design your own clothes with unique shapes and colors.
- Customize every house in town.
- Release Date: 25 Jun 2021.
- Developer: Pixel Sprout Studios.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC), Mac OS.
- Metascore: 8.
Pixel Sprout Studios brings a great game with a huge potential that is still in early access.
This pixelated open world offers multiple choices! You can either build your farm from scratch, make new friends, or go on a completely different path and set course on a quest filled with magic, monsters, and even dragons. You can play all of these activities alone or with up to 8 players online.
The story is based on your arrival to Sun Haven, a medieval town with people looking to restore the town’s glory. You can choose multiple professions like a farmer, miner, fisher, warrior, mage, or even blacksmith to help the town grow again.
On your journey, you will visit different places, like an Elven town or a monster city of Withergate where night never ends.
Complete the tasks using swords and other weapons as if you were in an RPG like Elder Scrolls. Of course, if you don’t want to resort to violence, there are other pacific ways to achieve your goals.
To unlock improvements for your farm, restore shops, and other structures, there are special quests that give you EXP. Level up and let people know that you are investing in the town!
Sun Haven is available for purchase on Steam.
- Visit three different worlds, each one with different requirements.
- Combat is optional. You can either choose to fight your enemies or find clever and cute ways to solve the issues.
- The rewarding system allows you to improve skill trees in the hope of learning new abilities.
- Prepare different foods and meals like lemon cake and other foods to keep you alive.
- Release Date: 18 Dec 2018.
- Developer: Bitten Toast Games Inc.
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows (PC), Mac OS.
- Metascore: 8.3.
Garden Paws is another of the games like Stardew Valley that are made by indie developers. This time, Bitten Toast Games Inc brings a new adventure to all players that love Stardew Valley.
The story centers on you taking care of your grandparents’ farm since they’ve decided to travel the world. You will have to use different characters in town to help you with the building’s management and ensure its future.
You will have to spend time building relationships, exploring, cooking, and harvesting, among other things, so make sure that most of these activities give you the coins needed to develop your home farm.
Visit incredible islands to gather materials and perform other activities like crafting, fishing, mining, and even solving quests. There are many things to keep you busy, so make sure you have enough focus to complete each task at a time and improve your skills in managing your farm.
Garden Paws Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Multiplayer mode with up to 32 people. You can play as a team or alone.
- Explore 10 different dungeons and battle against mushrooms.
- A whole new level of adventure that continues to evolve.
- Release Date: 8 Nov 2018.
- Developer: PixelCount Studios.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC).
- Metascore: Not available.
Kynseed is an indie sandbox game with life sim RPG features. The game was developed by Fable series creators, who this time bring up one of the best games like Stardew Valley out there. You can either take care of a business or travel into dark and dangerous regions. The choice is up to you.
The idea of Kynseed was to create an attention-grabbing real world. Thus, they developed a game where aging is inevitable. As your death is almost certain, put up timeless structures to leave something behind.
Build farms, a blacksmith, a tavern, an apothecary, or even a goods/services store. Find ingredients, catch animals and come up with a new idea to restore your glory in Kynseed.
Kynseed is available for purchase on Steam.
- Unlock secrets in different locations.
- Build relationships with NPCs.
- Find mysterious artifacts in your travels.
- Live in a fantastical 2D world that has plenty to offer.
- Release Date: 26 Nov 2021.
- Developer: Flow Studio.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows (PC), Mac OS.
- Metascore: 75.
If there are good PC games with low specs, Len’s island has to be one of them. The game begins with you arriving in a new town with nothing more than a good attitude and a backpack with basic tools. It’s time to build yourself a new home and enjoy this beautiful island.
You will have to gather materials, use a neglected workshop that you probably will have to fix, and start building according to your thoughts. If you’re more into discovering secrets and wandering around the island, there’s also the chance to do that.
Len’s Island has a lot of caves and deep places that you can visit and discover their dark secrets. You will have to go prepared if you want to make it out alive.
Len’s Island is available for purchase on Steam.
- Use a modular home design system to build your place.
- Enjoy different kinds of combat combinations, fighting styles, and more.
- Explore and rebuild as you wish. The world of Len’s Island doesn’t have limits.
Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands
- Release Date: 17 Oct 2019.
- Developer: Alchemist Interactive.
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One, iOS, Microsoft Windows (PC), Mac OS, Playstation 5.
- Metascore: 57.
Stranded Sails is a single-player open farming simulator. It’s a family-friendly game, so you can expect a relaxed gameplay experience but with a lot of action since you will have to lift a curse imposed to the islands.
You will start on a Caribbean Island where you will have to set up camp. To do that, you will have to farm, manage, explore, cook, mine, fish, and do other activities related to your survival.
Find items, rewarding activities, hidden treasures, and more while looking for the place that will be your forever home.
Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Indie video game set in the Caribbean, full of great views and landscapes.
- The perks system is an incredible way to improve your character.
- Huge map with different areas where you can build up your camp and the rest of your buildings.
- Decorate your place using a simplified version of an inventory system.
- Release Date: 15 Aug 2018.
- Developer: Lazy Bear Games.
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One, iOS, Microsoft Windows (PC), Mac OS.
- Metascore: 69.
Graveyard Keeper is an indie game where you manage a medieval cemetery in ways that you shouldn’t—for example, creating voodoo potions to control citizens, poisoning water to increase the number of dead bodies, and negotiating organs with the butcher.
The game tries to focus on the capitalist methods of running a business. As such, you will have to create a graveyard, expand it and find shortcuts to maintain your company alive.
You will face ethical decisions where you’ll have to choose the best for you or the community. You will need to use all the resources you can find to come up with the right decision.
There’s also the possibility of going out and completing quests in creepy dungeons of the medieval world. They will help you find new ingredients and learn the way of Alchemy to use it against the community.
News spreads like wildfire, so make sure you have enough resources, which can be obtained when you gather or craft them.
Graveyard Keeper Steam CD Key is available for purchase on RoyalCDKeys.
- Graveyard Keeper is a dark, challenging take similar to Stardew Valley.
- 2D world that doesn’t need a lot of PC requirements.
- Regular updates to the game.
- Make the same kind of questionable choices as real-life businessmen.
Games Like Stardew Valley - Summary
There are more games like Stardew Valley out there that you should play if you know every position on the list. Some of them may be:
- Orange Season.
- Voodoo Garden.
- Verdant Skies.
- Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles.
- My Time at Portia.
- Slime Rancher.
- Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles.
Developers like Pathea Games, Milkstone Studios, and other future brands are constantly working to bring the best indie farming games like Stardew Valley. Enjoy creating your home and becoming a sustainable person in these indie games like Stardew Valley.